- Participants will become familiar with various concepts related to acculturation, settlement, acculturative stress (culture shock), post-traumatic stress, and the role of settlement agencies in Alberta related to settlement and adjustment.
- Participants become familiar with challenges that occur during settlement and identify response to address these challenges.
- Participants will learn about challenges and strategies to provide ongoing follow-up support in settlement and transition programs.
Participants will develop an understanding of:
- Definitions, principles, and standards for settlement
- Concepts related to transition/migration/adaptation and the modes of acculturation
- Factors that contribute to successful transition
- Strategies for supporting clients in the transition process
- Strategies and resources related to organizational and systemic processes
- The role of a Settlement Practitioner related to accountability, professionalism, and work ethic